Harassment Advisor

Talking through the events and your feelings with the advisor will help you decide on the best way to deal with the behaviour and will clarify the options available to you.

Contact details of the harassment advisors can be found on this page (SSO required). 

If you would prefer to speak with an advisor entirely unconnected with your department, faculty, or college, the Harassment Line can find an alternative advisor for you.

Communications lead

Speak to your communications lead, who can offer advice regarding your online presence. 


Discuss with your HR lead, who may be able to advise on wellbeing support


Any incident can be recorded by the police. You can make contact online via the Thames Valley Police website or by calling 101. In an emergency, always dial 999. Please see the current Thames Valley Police guidance for more information.   

What should I do if I experience unwanted behaviour online?

If you have experienced harassment online, or if you are supporting a staff member who is, please ensure you: 
  • Don’t reply
  • Keep the messages – even if you don’t read them, they may be needed later for reporting purposes
  • Seek support and advice

There are two ways you can tell us what happened